No matter if you are in the camp which believes the best resistance is non-violence and waiting to be attacked first, or if you feel the only way to make people’s opinion come to the middle is by having extremists make the “radicals” look more reasonable, we should all agree that not being prepared for conflict is going to make us less organized when the time comes.
With NATO setting it’s sights on anonymous, and the media industries of the world getting stronger, the idea one day we may be pushed to physical conflict is becoming more and more real every day. Peaceful protesting is a great method for getting our message out, and in most countries in the world, that’s still the only thing which is needed. We cannot, however, keep our heads in the sand and pretend nothing will ever happen to us. We should at least educate ourselves on what we need to do as the resistance. Everything here is dual purposed. I am not telling you how to use it, just you can use it and some ways you might want to use it.
In my last post, the topic was getting the message out, and today we will discuss peaceful ways to frustrate our oppressors so they cannot ignore us. Unlike last week, I cannot speak to the legality of any of these methods. You have been warned. Also note a post which will be going up soon, will be avoiding “legal issues,” escaping the police, and protecting yourself in a riot… which might be useful to know before carrying out any of this.
Making stink juice (note the lack of the B word) is a great non-violent method to disrupt business and make operations difficult for the oppressors in closed environments. It also is highly easy to make.
What you need: Potatoes, Mason / Glass Jars (with lid), Water, Oil
- Cut a potato into fourths
- Put potato pieces into glass jar and fill water with about half an inch or 13mm left at the top
- Pour enough oil over the water to make a “seal” over the water and attach lid
- Locate a warm location (preferably with sunlight) and leave jar for a month or more
Do not open this until you are ready to use it, the smell it makes can make even the strongest gag reflex turn. When you are ready to use it just go to the enclosed location of your target and spill the liquid in a location which will make the biggest impact. The best locations are typically:
- Lobby and Enterence Halls if you are looking to impede their ability to attract new customers or prevent current customers from coming in and doing business. This is really only good for places like law offices and certain pseudo-religious organizations.
- Air Ducts are a great location if you can get access to them. They will make the entire building smell rancid and are far more difficult to get cleaned out.
- Main Work Areas obviously are great targets, especially if it is an office environment. Getting to that point might be tricky but by using those great social engineering skills which I know you are wanting to try out you should be able to get there, or at least close enough to throw your jar and run.
Of course, this is also great in case of a riot or other time when we need to protect ourselves from people who are attacking us. They throw tear gas at us, we will simply throw stink juice back at them.
Looking for something a little less aggressive and slightly more legal? Well if you have a bunch of friends you can surround the building / person that you would like to cause issues for, and not let anyone in or out of the door (or just constantly harass the people you follow). This method is less effective than the above because it mostly works on a psychological level, but it at least keeps those who oppress us scared.
An old favourite of environmental activists is “ye ol” chain-yourself-to-the-door-so-no-one-can-enter-or-leave approach. This is a great tactic which will get you arrested but you also create a ton of media attention to what you are fighting against. Have your hands chained to the entrance door and chained together inside a pvc pipe to maximize the amount of time you will be there. This technique also has lots of other useful purposes, be creative. Just be aware of the danger of broken bones and such.
There will be cases where we may be attacked by either riot teams, police, or even people hired by rich corporations who have a vested interest in shutting down anything which will result in the change to their business.
What you will need: methyl cellulose (Wallpaper Paste), Water, balloons, and Dye (preferably indelible). You may also possibly need a funnel.
- Pour a little of the methyl cellulose into a balloon.
- Drop some dye in (more is better).
- Fill your balloon half full (half empty?) of water.
- Pinch the top of the balloon and shake it and swirl it. You are attempting to mix the ingredients inside the balloon as much as possible.
- Fill the balloon to the top and tie off the end.
What will this do? It will create a slick/gooey substance which will stain the cloths and skin of the person you are throwing it at. Any amount of goo which does not get on the person you are throwing it at will simply make the ground that they are walking on more slick. Its a win/win.
Everything I talk about above is simply ideas for tools you can use in non-violent protests. I cannot and would not ever tell you a specific time for you to use any of these tools and their application is up to you. Education is always a good thing, what you do with it is another matter. Until next time ILF, I will leave you with a quote from the guy who wrote America’s declaration of independence:
God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. … What country before ever existed a century and half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.
We are patriots of the digital revolution.